But solid food is for the mature, for those whose faculties have been trained by continuous exercise to distinguish good from evil. Hebrews 5:14 CJB
Solid food, it is so much more preferred than a liquid diet. Even of it doesn’t contain meat, it is still more satisfying than a shake or smoothie. Yet, I also have to pair it with consistent exercise. Calories in can’t exceed the calories expended. This has been a constant battle in my life because I love food, and can find many excuses why exercise is skipped. It is easy to find the scale creeping back up, or at minimum stalling in my weight loss process. I want to be as disciplined physically as I am spiritually.
I love to feed on the Word of God. Daily my desire is time in mediation and prayer. Feasting on the truths in God’s Word is continuous exercise. Yet, feeding on the Word is not enough. I have to balance it with action, for faith without works is dead. I have to put what I am learning into application, or it is sin.
Some of the truths that I have learned that help me grow into maturity and distinguish good from evil are:
Through my Words
- Matthew 5:37Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.
- Matthew 12:34 You brood of snakes! How could evil men like you speak what is good and right? For whatever is in your heart determines what you say.
- 1 Peter 3:10 For the Scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies.
- 3 John 1:11 Dear friend, don’t let this bad example influence you. Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God’s children, and those who do evil prove that they do not know God.
- 1 John 5:18 We know that God’s children do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot touch them.
- Peter 3:9 Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will grant you his blessing.
- James 1:21 So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls.
- 1 Peter 3:11 Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.
- Romans 12:17 Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable.
- 2 Timothy 2:19 But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and “All who belong to the Lord must turn away from evil.”
- Titus 2:12-13 And we are instructed to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this evil world with wisdom, righteousness, and devotion to God, while we look forward with hope to that wonderful day when the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will be revealed.
- 1 Timothy 6:11 But you, Timothy, are a man of God; so run from all these evil things. Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness.
- Ephesians 5:16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.
Through my Faith
- 1 John 5:4 For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith.
- 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
- Ephesians 6:12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
- Ephesians 6:13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.
Through what I Don’t Do
- 1 Peter 2:1 So get rid of all evil behavior. Be done with all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech.
Ephesians 4:31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.
Ephesians 5:11 Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them.
- 1 Peter 2:16 For you are free, yet you are God’s slaves, so don’t use your freedom as an excuse to do evil.
1 Peter 3:9Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will grant you his blessing.
James 3:16For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind.
Romans 12:17Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable.
1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that no one pays back evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to all people.
I have the choice to give into evil words, evil desires, evil actions and what I choose not to do. Or I can choose to let my words be honest, true and good. I can let my actions reflect the goodness of God. I can turn from evil. I can stand strong in my faith. When I choose good, I allow the Word that I have been feeding on to grow me into maturity.
This blog is part of a #Write31Days series on growth. 31 Days is an online writing challenge, where bloggers pick one topic and write a post on that topic every day.