As a Christian, it is our responsibility to be fruitful. It takes much discipline of self to abide with God so that we can produce the fruit that comes naturally through our connection with Him.
Unlike natural branches, we have to choose to remain in Him. Our responsibility in the growth of fruit is to remain in Him. This comes from daily spending time with Him. We must discipline ourselves to daily commune with Him in prayer. We need both individual and corporate worship, ministering to Him with our praise. We must discipline our self to daily meditate on His Word. When we remain in Him, He will remain in us. The Word in promises James 4:8 if we will draw near to Him, He will draw near to us.
Like natural branches though, once we discipline our self to remain in Him, we can’t help but bear fruit. We can not bear fruit as we will, but only as He wills. As we abide in Him, His desire if for us to bear fruit that will bring glory and honor to Him. When we remain in Him, the byproduct in our life is the fruit of the Spirit.
When He remains in us,
- His love will shine through to others (I John 4:19)
- We will be filled with joy unspeakable (I Peter 1:8)
- We will have peace (II Thessalonians 3:16)
- We will be patient with all (I Thessalonians 5:14)
- His kindness will radiate through us (Col 3:12)
- Goodness will follow us (Psalms 23:6)
- Faithfulness will be a cornerstone of our life (II Thessalonians 1:4)
- Gentleness will clothe us (Col 3:12)
- We will exercise self-control. (I Peter 1:13)