So many times things happen, and no one knows the thoughts that go through your head. Well, I like to think that. But God knows, and even if it would never be appropriate to say “I’m sorry” to the person that is the object of that thought – God knows our hearts.
As I was driving home, I thought of the people I needed to ask for forgiveness, people who may not even know that I have been offended at them, and yet the conviction was so overwhelming that here I am posting it for everyone to read. There is this song “These are the words I would say”. Well, these are the words I would say to those persons that I have wronged, yet held as offense against me.
1. I am so sorry if my words hurt you, or caused you fallout when I left. I never meant to hurt you. I was upset by your actions, but I forgive you, and I pray that God will continue to bless you and increase your ministry.
2. I am sorry that I expect you to take on a responsibility that you can not, to be someone who you can not be. I am sorry that I have held that against you. I pray that God will help you overcome and be reconciled.
3. I am sorry for being judgmental of your actions. I do not know what you are thinking or why you make the decisions you do, but it is not my place to judge. I am sorry. I pray that God will give you wisdom and guidance.
4. I am sorry for holding past hurts against you. I thought I wasn’t, but I guess I have. I release you from not being perfect. I release you from the mistakes that have been made. I am sorry I let that come between us. I pray God will help you become the person He created you to be.
5. I am sorry I get cranky with you. I can not imagine what you must be feeling, when I try to I remember I have compassion, but I am sorry that I have more compassion and empathy for strangers. I pray for patience (just not too quick – cause it is a painful process).
6. I am sorry that I put other things before our relationship. I am out of balance in a number of relationships, and I want to do better. I think sometimes it is easier for me to focus on other things, because then I don’t have to see the mistakes I make, my faults, my failures. I promise to keep working on this with the grace of God. I pray that you will know how important you are to me.
I am sure that there are other things I need to apologize for, but for now these are the things God has laid on my heart.